A polypharmacy awareness tool to help you enhance quality of care and ease the burden on your floor staff.
Polypharmacy is an area of increasing concern in nursing homes as patients take more and more medications. Most of the focus in the area of polypharmacy has been on preventing dangerous chemical interactions. Much less attention has been paid to polypharmacy side effects that nursing home patients may live with every day.
Rx Checker is a polypharmacy awareness tool that focuses not on critical drug interactions, but on the possible cumulative, additive side effects of a patient’s drug menu that could affect quality of life.
Here’s how it works. Simply enter all the drugs (prescription and OTC) that a patient is taking into the online system. It instantly generates a printable report that includes:
- An easy-to-read chart identifying the matching side effects of multiple drugs in the menu that could be additive/cumulative
- A more expansive list of side effects for each drug
- A basic statement on each drug and what it is intended to treat
Unexplained side effects can mean stress, frustration and extra work for staff.
All this is presented in a common sense manner that is easy for patients and caregivers to relate to.
You can use Rx Checker reports to:
- Assist in the initial evaluation of a patient upon entering your facility.
- Effectively communicate with caregivers about their loved one’s medications, and the possible side effects they may expect to observe. The more information a caregiver has, the more their comfort level is enhanced.
- Promote discussion between caregivers and staff. Equipped with the report’s knowledge, caregivers may observe issues in their loved one which they can then pass on to staff. The patient’s treating physician may be able to modify the drug menu to alleviate the side effect situation.
- Ease the burden on your floor staff. They care deeply for the patients they work with so closely, and are distressed by seeing their quality of life suffer. Unexplained symptoms also cause frustration and extra work. These unexplained symptoms may be side effects from the patient’s drug menu.
Get a Sample Report Get 3 Free Reports Now View Pricing